Monday, October 27, 2014

Sitting on the Bench: Thoughts on Suicide Prevention


Sitting on the Bench: Thoughts on Suicide Prevention

I have never been close with someone who committed suicide, but I have been good friends with a couple girls who have tried. It surprised me to learn it both times - I would have had no idea had they not said something to me about it. They taught me that as well as I may think that I know a person, I may never really understand their history or their struggles. Everyone has a unique story. Including me. Including you. 

To be honest, I wasn't inspired by this video in the way I thought I would be, but I agree with the message. The main thing that we can do for those that suffer with depression, is to simply be there for them. Just like the brother in this video who rarely said a word, but took a week off of work and sat at his brother's bedside, we don't always have to have the right words, or any. We can convey love to that person that won't fade no matter what they do, and maybe, just maybe, they'll begin to feel safe enough to share their feelings with us. As Elder Oaks said, “There is nothing more powerful than the arm of love that can be put around those who are struggling.” 

                               

That's exactly what they need, an arm of love. Not judgment. I hear judgment on and pity for the eternal state of those who have committed suicide frequently. This is not okay. We don't know enough to make any judgment. As suggested, leave judgment to God. All of it! There is no way that we can completely understand what someone else is going through, especially those with a struggle like severe depression. I mean, I hardly understand myself sometimes! 
Although I don't know exactly what will happen to these individuals after death, one thing that I firmly believe that will happen to us all when we pass from this life, whether we die from old age, physical disease, or mental illness, is that we will meet a merciful God. He loves ALL of us and wants us each to be happy - both during our life and after. 

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment