Monday, October 13, 2014

Key Lime Pie

Mexico. When I take a bite of this pie, that's where my imagination takes me. I hear the mariachi band playing, the maracas shaking, and the colorful, ruffled skirts swaying to the beat. If you, like me, want a tropical vacation without being able to take a week away from a life, this pie may just be for you.

Key Lime Pie

Displaying image.jpeg
I used canned whipped cream so you'll just have to imagine a fluffy little cloud in the middle

Ingredients

  • 4 large egg yolks - if you are unsure how to separate the yolk and white, enjoy this tutorial
  • 5 limes
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 pie crust - I made my own found here
  • optional: whipped cream, 

Directions


  1. Grate and juice the limes. You will need 4 tsp of lime zest and 1/2 cup of lime juice.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime zest and egg yolks until green. Whisk in the condensed milk until smooth, then whisk in the lime juice.
  3. Cover the mixture and set aside to thicken for about 30 min.
  4. Bake the pie crust if it is not precooked then pour in the filling while the crust is still warm. 
  5. Bake pie at 325 degrees until the center is firm, but slightly jiggly (such a fun word to say), about 15 minutes. Allow to solidify in the fridge if you're the patient type, or if you're like me, devour immediately. 


This recipe comes from the cookbook Cook's Illustrated Cookbook.




No comments:

Post a Comment