Thursday, October 2, 2014

Graham Cracker Pie Crust

I have a dream. This dream is to become a first-class homemaker. Is that weird? Either way, there are a few things that symbolize the accomplishment of this goal to me. 1. I learn how to keep a clean house so that guests don't send me into panic mode. Last time I left this to my husband while I was at work and I came home to guests on the same couch as my flaming red bra... 2. Learn how to fix stuff - not Tim the Toolman Taylor stuff, but hemming jeans, bedazzling a plain wall, that sort of thing. 3. Become an expert cook. I want to be that mom that when guests come, they take seconds...thirds...sixths! Maybe not sixths since then everyone would need their own pan, but you get the point. Somehow, making my own pie crust has become important to this vision as it seems especially domestic (in a good way). So I gave it a try.

Graham Cracker Pie Crust

Ingredients: 


Displaying crust.PNG8 whole graham crackers
5 tablespoons butter, melted and COOLED
3 tablespoons sugar


And that's it. 3 ingredients. Brilliant, right? 


Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  2. Break up graham crackers into fine crumbs (either by putting them in a plastic bag and pounding them senselessly, or in a food processor for about 30 sec)
  3. Add butter and sugar to the crumbs while still in the bag or food processor and blend them
Displaying image.jpeg

      4.  Sprinkle mixture into a 9-inch pie dish and pat it down using the bottom of a measuring cup                until the crumbs are in an even layer along the bottom and sides of the dish
Inline image 1

      5.  Bake on a middle rack until crust smells delicious and is beginning to brown (13-18 min)

This recipe comes from the cookbook Cook's Illustrated Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment