Friday, September 26, 2014

Movie and Book Review: Week 2

No spoilers! These posts are written to help those who are debating whether or not to read/watch these titles, not to spoil them. 

Movie: Warm Bodies - PG 13
I'm not one for zombie movies. My husband had to sneak watch The Walking Dead by pausing it whenever I walked into the room, warning me of an upcoming beheading or other grotesque zombie action, and resuming it when I left.

Zombie distaste aside, this movie is great! Like, getting to bathe in a pool full of chocolate great, which unfortunately no, I have not had the pleasure of doing in my lifetime. It's full of delightful awkwardness and witty humor that made me hesitant to look away for fear of missing something brilliant. There was little to make my stomach squirm, but plenty to make my heart flutter. 

Summary: All but a small percentage of the world have become zombies who spend their time imagining what life must have been like before their change and hunting for humans. During one attack, the zombie called R sees Julie, a human, and immediately falls in love. This poses a problem as he must spend all his energy protecting her and trying to win her over without the ability to speak...or behave remotely human no matter how hard he tries. 

Favorite Quote: Kevin (a human who suspects that R might be a zombie): Hey.
R: [Thought] Say something human. Say something human.
R: How... are... you...?
R: [Thought] Nailed it.




Book: The Giver
This was a fast read that took me through the journey of a child being forced to grow up too fast. I was forced to determine my own opinion on several matters such as 'would the world really be better without pain and suffering?' 'would I be happier if I didn't have to make hard decisions?' and 'what if there was no individuality?' It became an almost spiritual read as I saw several parallels between the story and my religious beliefs, leaving me with an increased appreciation for both. 

Summary: Jonas lives in a black and white world where all choices have and will be made for him. He is assigned the career of 'reciever of memory' which means he alone will have to carry every memory of emotion, color, and experience to prevent the community from repeating mistakes. As he receives these memories from 'The Giver', his world becomes richer and he realizes how much people need choice to truly live. 

Favorite Quotes:  “Even trained for years as they all had been in precision of language, what words could you use which would give another the experience of sunshine?” -Jonas's thought

"And here in this room, I re-experience the memories again and again it is how wisdom comes and how we shape our future." - The Giver

No comments:

Post a Comment